One of the ways that a beautiful, fresh salad can be ruined the fastest is by having someone drown the whole thing in a processed, store bought dressing. They are typically full of preservatives, additives, excess sodium and sugar. The flavor often leaves a lot to be desired as well. Making your own dressing is simple, inexpensive and just about guarantees a rave review!
My Favorite Summer Salad: Strawberry Grilled Chicken Salad!
- Bed of mixed baby greens or baby spinach leaves
- grilled chicken breasts, chopped
- crumbled feta
- candied walnuts (in the popcorn or baking aisle)
- sliced, hulled fresh strawberries
- Homemade balsamic vinegrette (see recipe below)
Balsamic Vinegrette (per person, multiply as necessary)
- 1 Tbs (15g) light flavored Olive or Canola Oil
- 1 Tbs (15g) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (5g) dijon mustard
- 1/2 Tbs (10g) honey (if you like tangy, reduce or skip this)
- If you have a food scale, put 16 oz measuring cup on scale and zero out. Add each ingredient by weight, zero between items.
- If no scale, use volume measurements. Add all ingredients
- Whisk & serve immediately
- Extra can be stored in closed container in refrigerator. Use within week. Shake before using!
A Few Other Salad Ideas To Try:
- Mexican: Romaine, grilled corn, black beans, cotija cheese crumbles, crunchy tortilla strips, cilantro & a nice grilled tri tip all topped off with a spicy salsa
- Italian: Iceberg, tomatoes, red onion, pepperocini, seasoned croutons, sliced pepperoni or salami, a sprinkling of shredded parmesan dressed with a tangy vinegrette
- Chinese Chicken: Shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, mandarin orange segments, crispy wonton strips, soft poached chicken pieces topped with a ginger sesame vinegrette
- Japanese: Romaine, edamame, toasted sesame seeds, seared ahi tuna and a spicy wasabi ginger vinegrette
- Buffalo Chicken: grilled chicken marinated with buffalo sauce (try Frank's red hot!), iceberg lettuce, tomato, butter toasted croutons all topped with a creamy blue cheese dressing.
What's in your favorite salad? Comment below!!