road

road

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Why DIY??

Reasons to do it yourself:

1)Cost!! It is usually (although not always!) cheaper to do projects yourself rather than purchase a mass produced item or pay someone to do it for you. As I add projects to this blog I will try to discuss the financial advantage (or disadvantage) of each particular project. Some projects have saved me a bundle. Others ended up costing me much more-- especially those that required specialized tools, ingredients or expertise I didn't have!

2) Quality. When you control the materials, you can use any size, color or type you wish. When I am considering a project I try consider the final quality-- is the end product better than store-bought, the same or worse?? Each project will rank the results to help you decide if its worth your time. The start of a new project brings me fresh hope that all will go perfect. It oh-so-rarely does. However, I will be more than happy to share with you my mistakes in the hopes of saving you from heartache of choosing between living with something you hate or ripping it up and doing it over.

3)Satisfaction. There is a certain amount of pride that comes from knowing YOU did it! Some projects we do ourselves just for the joy of doing them or at least impressing your friends..."You made that?? Really??? Wow!!"  Sometimes, however, the hassle, inconvenience & effort make doing it yourself a headache. Wouldn't that be nice to know BEFORE you got involved??

4) Its Greener. In the world today, sometimes this is the overriding reason we DIY. We want to create a healthier home, food, and environment. Sometimes doing it ourselves allows us to reduce waste and toxins prevalent in commercial products. More and more of my home projects are inspired by a desire to help my family be the healthiest possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment